Monday, September 13, 2010

Cranked Up: Confessions Of A Petrolhead

Mark Hohls - Freelance


Now, here’s the thing, I’ve never really been one for books. My idea of the perfect book report was always, ‘wait for the DVD’. Plus, I’ve always trusted Steven Spielberg to tell me everything I need to know. Until the other day, that was…

I first saw an advert for Cranked Up about two months ago and finally managed to hunt down a copy. Cranked Up has been written by the Sub-Editor of CAR Magazine, Hannes Oosthuizen. In the book Hannes relives some of his greatest motoring moments, from getting lost in Japan to watching the late Lolly Jackson’s Pagani Zonda spin off the track during an annual performance shoot-out, and everything in between.

Cranked Up has been described as a great read for both those who love cars, to those who just drive them, alike.
I agree completely, I know, I couldn’t put it down. Having said that, what really made Cranked Up such a comforting book to read is because Hannes comes from a small town very close to our hearts. Yes, dearest readers, Hannes is an old Piet Retief boy.

Hannes Oosthuizen moved to Piet Retief with his family in 1992 when his father was transferred to the Piet Retief branch of Boland Bank. At this time he started standard 7 at Piet Retief High School and stayed there up until Matric. After HPR life, Hannes went to Stellenbosch University where he completed a B.A. degree majoring in Political Science and French. (I must say, I really do like that idea. He can tell you why a politician is so useless, and why his car is so good at the same time!) He then did his B.A. Honours in Journalism, and now a couple of years later, he’s the Sub-Editor of CAR Magazine.

One of Hannes’ fondest memories of Piet Retief…he learnt how to drive here.

So next time you pick up a copy of CAR Magazine, know that we as the community of Piet Retief have bragging rights.

Follow Hannes on Facebook’s ‘Cranked Up: Confessions of a Petrolhead’ page. His book is available from CNA Piet Retief and Exclusive Books, or you can order a copy off http://www.magsathome.co.za/.

Trust me; it will make you feel proud to have a copy on your bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment