Friday, April 23, 2010

I Drove Car Of The Year


The Golf 6 was recently awarded South African Car of the Year, and the new Generation Polo is World Car of the Year. So, VW are yet again one step closer to taking over the world. And honestly, I really don’t mind. Think about it for a minute, can you imagine if the world ran like a Volkswagen?

Can you imagine if South Africa ran like a Volkswagen? Julius Malema would have been one of the greatest mechanical faults in history, would have been recalled ages ago and melted down into ball bearings.
As much as I really like that idea, back to the car. The car that grabbed the prize was the TSI Comfortline. It is powered by a 1.4 turbocharged petrol engine which pushes out 90 kW and 200 Nm.
Here’s the thing though about that 1400 engine…it is pure magic. The power delivery is smooth, smoother than double cream or Ultramel Custard, and the power just keeps coming up until the red line. Remember, this is only the 90kW, there’s a more powerful 118kW 1.4 in the range too – Yay!
Interior wise, I just adore this car. It has such a premium feel to it. The vehicle I drove had satellite controls on the steering wheel for the on board computer, radio and Bluetooth.
The leather seats are the type of things I want to rip out and stick in my lounge…they’re awesome.
Driving, the car feels planted at all times. It gives you this sense of sportiness, but at the same time is extremely comfortable. More than that, it feels indestructible. It creates this air of security, and for the first time in ages I wasn’t scared of the guy at the robot handing out adverts because I knew that if he decided to attack me for whatever reason, he wasn’t going to get me in the Golf.
This car does everything beautifully. It is the perfect combination of power, economy, handling, comfort and practicality. Handing it back was no easy task, and driving home I couldn’t stop thinking about how badly I wanted it. (This coming from the guy who has thought about trying to trade-in his family for a GTI.)
I agree with the Guild one hundred percent with regard to their choice. The Golf 6 TSI is the South African car of the year for one reason…it’s that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment